Anybody for some delicious layer cake?
Each layer is about 2 mm (.08 inches) think and freezes in seconds after application. It takes about 8 minutes to apply one layer across the entire rink.
The Hockey Rink Recipe:
- 2 layers of ice
- 3 layers of white paint (special paint that is non-toxic, biodegradable and formulated to stick to ice)
- Now comes the hockey markings, hand painted
- Red lines, Blue line, Goal lines
- Face-off circles then the goal crease at each net
- Finally the logos and a quick layer to seal the paint with a garden hose
- Last comes a slow flooding to add the final 3 cm (1.2 inches) of ice for a total thickness of about 4 cm (1.6 inches).
Now that is a great use of 300 bath tubs full of water!
5 minute video
Here is bonus video #1 that show how a basketball court gets transformed into an Ice hockey rink in 1 hour and 20 minutes! Video length is 46 seconds.
Bonus video #2 shows a rodeo getting turned in to an ice rink. Video length is 2 and a half minutes.